The following exerpts are taken directly from http://www.facebook.com/terms.php
Exerpts are not taken for the purpose of excluding the remainder, but as a means to offer the relevant information in a clear and concise manner while providing the reader/user (you) the full document for perusal if so desired, thus excluding nothing
Comments in blue are added in clarification of the terms with reference to the Gamers Unite Toolbar.
Text in red is original text hilighted to bring it to your attention.
While you can prevent the snag bar from accessing ‘your newsfeed’ – your game posts will still in all likelihood be fed through the bar due to the social nature of the game. You share your feed with your friends, and some of them share their feed with the application. Therefore your published content being used by the bar is NOT involation of any terms of service nor privacy, as it is in compliance with the terms of service to which you have agreed when joining Facebook.
We do our best to keep Facebook safe, but we cannot guarantee it. We need your help to do that, which includes the following commitments:
- *You will not send or otherwise post unauthorized commercial communications (such as spam) on Facebook.
- *You will not collect users’ content or information, or otherwise access Facebook, using automated means (such as harvesting bots, robots, spiders, or scrapers) without our permission. The Snag Bar does not harvest information for any individual, which he/she does not have a right to. It ONLY accesses/records/directs/feeds events which are already available to the individual user. It does not syphon newsfeed from individuals to which it should not have access. It does not steal – due to the fact that you cannot be accused of ‘stealing’ information which is rightfully yours to take.
- *You will not engage in unlawful multi-level marketing, such as a pyramid scheme, on Facebook.
- *You will not upload viruses or other malicious code.
- *You will not solicit login information or access an account belonging to someone else.
- *You will not bully, intimidate, or harass any user. We have seen MUCH of this – not from Gamers Unite or their fans, but from those who seek to damage them.
- *You will not post content that: is hateful, threatening, or pornographic; incites violence; or contains nudity or graphic or gratuitous violence.
- *You will not develop or operate a third-party application containing alcohol-related or other mature content (including advertisements) without appropriate age-based restrictions.
- *You will not offer any contest, giveaway, or sweepstakes (“promotion”) on Facebook without our prior written consent. If we consent, you take full responsibility for the promotion, and will follow our Promotions Guidelines and all applicable laws.
- *You will not use Facebook to do anything unlawful, misleading, malicious, or discriminatory. Constant ‘rumour’ and ‘innuendo’ set into motion by those who seek to defame Gamers Unite, constitute ‘misleading AND malicious’ content.
- *You will not do anything that could disable, overburden, or impair the proper working of Facebook, such as a denial of service attack.
- *You will not facilitate or encourage any violations of this Statement.
Special Provisions Applicable to Developers/Operators of Applications and Websites
If you are a developer or operator of a Platform application or website, the following additional terms apply to you:
- You are responsible for your application and its content and all uses you make of Platform. This includes ensuring your application or use of Platform meets our Developer Principles and Policies and our Advertising Guidelines.
- Your access to and use of data you receive from Facebook, will be limited as follows:
- You will only request data you need to operate your application.
- You will delete all data you receive from us concerning a user if the user asks you to do so, and will provide a mechanism for users to make such a request.
- You will not include data you receive from us concerning a user in any advertising creative.
- You will not directly or indirectly transfer any data you receive from us to (or use such data in connection with) any ad network, ad exchange, data broker, or other advertising related toolset, even if a user consents to that transfer or use.
- We can limit your access to data. They can….. they could… they don’t – Gamers Unite’s access to the data required to run the snag bar application has not been restricted/limited.
- You will comply with all other restrictions contained in our Developer Principles and Policies.
- You will not give us information that you independently collect from a user or a user’s content without that user’s consent.
- You will make it easy for users to remove or disconnect from your application. Gamers Unite is clear about this – there are even instructions on their website to show users how to remove Gamers Unite from Facebook – something which they are not obliged to do.
- You will make it easy for users to contact you. We can also share your email address with users and others claiming that you have infringed or otherwise violated their rights.
- You will provide customer support for your application. Gamers Unite provides comprehensive customer support for its applications.
- You will not show third party ads or web search boxes on Facebook.
- We give you all rights necessary to use the code, APIs, data, and tools you receive from us.
- You will not sell, transfer, or sublicense our code, APIs, or tools to anyone.
- You will not misrepresent your relationship with Facebook to others. Gamers Unite clearly state that they have no affiliation with Facebook other than choosing the platform on which to host their fan group.
- You may use the logos we make available to developers or issue a press release or other public statement so long as you follow our Developer Principles and Policies.
- We can issue a press release describing our relationship with you.
- You will comply with all applicable laws. In particular you will (if applicable):
- have a policy for removing infringing content and terminating repeat infringers that complies with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
- comply with the Video Privacy Protection Act (“VPPA”), and obtain any opt-in consent necessary from users so that user data subject to the VPPA may be shared on Facebook. You represent that any disclosure to us will not be incidental to the ordinary course of your business.
- We do not guarantee that Platform will always be free.
- You give us all rights necessary to enable your application to work with Facebook, including the right to incorporate content and information you provide to us into streams, profiles, and user action stories.
- You give us the right to link to or frame your application, and place content, including ads, around your application.
- We can analyze your application, content, and data for any purpose, including commercial (such as for targeting the delivery of advertisements and indexing content for search). They can analyze for any purpose – they can and they do, and yet Gamers Unite Snag bar application continues to operate unopposed.
- To ensure your application is safe for users, we can audit it. They can analyze for any purpose – they can and they do, and yet Gamers Unite Snag bar application continues to operate unopposed.
- We can create applications that offer similar features and services to, or otherwise compete with, your application. They reserve the right to even copy the application and launch it as their own if they find it is valuable enough – not terribly relevant but amusing nonetheless.
- About Advertisements on Facebook
- Our goal is to deliver ads that are not only valuable to advertisers, but also valuable to you. In order to do that, you agree to the following:
- You can use your privacy settings to limit how your name and profile picture may be associated with commercial or sponsored content served by us. You give us permission to use your name and profile picture in connection with that content, subject to the limits you place.
- We do not give your content or information to advertisers without your consent.
- You understand that we may not always identify paid services and communications as such.
- Special Provisions Applicable to Pages
- If you create or administer a Page on Facebook, you agree to our Pages Terms. Amendments
- We can change this Statement if we provide you notice (by posting the change on the Facebook Site Governance Page) and an opportunity to comment To get notice of any future changes to this Statement, visit our Facebook Site Governance Page and become a fan.
- For changes to sections 7, 8, 9, and 11 (sections relating to payments, application developers, website operators, and advertisers), we will give you a minimum of three days notice. For all other changes we will give you a minimum of seven days notice. All such comments must be made on the Facebook Site Governance Page.
- If more than 7,000 users comment on the proposed change, we will also give you the opportunity to participate in a vote in which you will be provided alternatives. The vote shall be binding on us if more than 30% of all active registered users as of the date of the notice vote.
- We can make changes for legal or administrative reasons, or to correct an inaccurate statement, upon notice without opportunity to comment.
Date of last revision: April 22, 2010.
Exerpts taken from http://www.facebook.com/policy.php
Exerpts are not taken for the purpose of excluding the remainder, but as a means to offer the relevant information in a clear and concise manner while providing the reader/user (you) the full document for perusal, thus excluding nothing.
(this means, facebook takes no responsibility for applications linked to it)
Information set to “everyone” is publicly available information, just like your name, profile picture, and connections. Such information may, for example, be accessed by everyone on the Internet (including people not logged into Facebook), be indexed by third party search engines, and be imported, exported, distributed, and redistributed by us and others without privacy limitations. Such information may also be associated with you, including your name and profile picture, even outside of Facebook, such as on public search engines and when you visit other sites on the internet. The default privacy setting for certain types of information you post on Facebook is set to “everyone.” You can review and change the default settings in your privacy settings. If you delete “everyone” content that you posted on Facebook, we will remove it from your Facebook profile, but have no control over its use outside of Facebook. Essentially this means, that your game feed from Farmville (and any other games) is able to be accessed, filtered, indexed and imported by outside persons and applications, BECAUSE it is on the Facebook platform – Ie the Gamers Unite Toolbar. This is Facebook’s stance in refrence not only to YOU as an individual, but to Zynga also, as cited below from their “Facebook Principles” document
(found at http://www.facebook.com/principles.php for your reference)
4. Fundamental Equality
Every Person – whether individual, advertiser, developer, organization, or other entity – should have representation and access to distribution and information within the Facebook Service, regardless of the Person’s primary activity. There should be a single set of principles, rights, and responsibilities that should apply to all People using the Facebook Service.